An attractive smile often leaves a lasting impression. Achieving a beautiful smile, however, requires dedicated and consistent effort towards improving dental health. As a foundation for dental health, it is important to know what activities will improve resistance to dental issues and bolster overall wellness. Here are five must-know tips that help you reach and maintain gorgeous pearly whites.
- Maintain a dedicated brushing and flossing routine. This can be one of the greatest pieces of advice for patients looking to get involved with their dental health. Brushing twice a day removes plaque and bacteria build-up before it hardens to tartar, a calcium that can only be removed by professional-grade dental tools. Flossing gets the bacteria in between teeth that lead to systemic issues such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Rinse with antiseptic mouthwash. This ensures bacteria in the mouth are maintained to a safe, stable degree. Make sure that your mouthwash is alcohol-free, or else dry mouth can occur.
- Avoid bad habits. Activities like chewing ice, using teeth as tools, and smoking can greatly wear down teeth and lead to decay. Instead, chewing sugar-free gum in between meals can curb a craving for a detrimental habit as well as mildly clean a mouth from food debris.
- Visit your dentist regularly for regular checkups. This is necessary because visits to the dentist ensure tartar buildup is kept to a minimum and patients are prepared for complications that may arise in the future. Routine visits to the dental office also prevent many dental issues from occurring in the future.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Eating lots of fibrous foods and avoiding added sugars will greatly improve dental health. Sugars cause bacteria to excrete acids that damage the enamels of teeth leading to decay. Fibrous foods scrub away plaque in between brushing, leaving your mouth refreshed.
While not an exhaustive list of efforts you could be doing to improve your dental health, these tips make for a great foundation for building a strong and healthy set of teeth. Ensuring that these tips are implemented into an individual’s routine hygiene care will help bring out the natural beauty of their smile.
Find out more information about maintaining optimal oral health by calling or visiting our dental practice in Toledo, Ohio. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Daniel Connelly, and explore your options for comprehensive dental care.